UPDATED: Deals on Gas & Lodging…and How to Indirectly Get 20% Off at Amazon
UPDATE: added more hashtags and further tips on 4/2/14.
In the miles and points game, I’m a big fan of credit cards as a tool to maximize your earnings. One of my favorite ongoing promotions is the American Express Sync campaign where you register (“sync”) your Amex card for various merchant-specific offers and automatically receive a statement credit after making a purchase.
Presently there are a bunch of good offers. Some are travel related like hotels and gas stations, but others include Zappos, Lowe’s, and Regal Entertainment. To avoid cluttering the post, I’ve placed a list of current offers I’m aware of at the bottom of this page.
Let’s use the Lowe’s offer to illustrate how you might “work” one of these promotions to score a deal – even if you don’t need any home improvement items.
The offer states: “Get a one-time $10 statement credit by using your connected Card to spend a total of $50 or more on qualifying purchases at Lowe’s by 5/31/2014.”
After you sync a qualifying Amex card to the offer (see instructions below), you simply go to Lowe’s and make a purchase with that card. The statement credit automatically posts to your account. The terms say the credit appears within 90 days, but I usually get it within a week.
I like effortless deals and these are pretty painless!
Now, are you going to just waltz over to Lowe’s with your synced card and shop away? Of course not. You are going to double dip by first getting your hands on a coupon that you can stack on top of this deal! (Pssst…sign up for Lowe’s email alerts then watch your e-mail for a 10% coupon in a few days.) Remember, the charge to your synced card must be $50+ to trigger the rebate.
But what if you don’t need any home improvement items? Well, look at what else Lowe’s sells…
See how you can work this deal to indirectly get up to 20% off at Amazon, Shell Gas, or anything else you might find on the gift card rack at Lowe’s? (Note that gift cards purchased online may not qualify, however.)
Say you find shoes or a handbag you want to buy on Amazon. Are you going to pay right away with the gift card you just bought at 20% off? Of course not. You’re going to try applying coupon code SPSHOE14 (expires 4/13/14) for 20% off a $100+ purchase of select shoes & handbags.
Getting the hang of it?
How to Sync Your Card
VIA YOUR AMEX ACCOUNT:
Simply log in to your Amex credit card account, click the “Offers For You” tab at the bottom, then add the offers you wish to register for. Once added, offers move over to the “My Offers” tab.
Many deals may not appear on your Offers For You tab because your account wasn’t targeted for those particular promotions. However, if there is a hashtag available, you can sync your card via Twitter here.
- Log in to (or create) your Twitter account
- Sync your card
- Tweet the appropriate hashtag (#AmexLowes, in our example)
- Confirm your tweet got through to Amex. Click on “Notifications” at the top and make sure they acknowledged it with something like “@[your handle] Thx for enrolling in #AmexLowes offer. Spend w/connected Card & receive credit…”
You can only sync one card per Twitter account, so if you have multiple Amex cards and want to take advantage of the same deal multiple times you can create a separate Twitter account for each card.
While you’re at it don’t forget to follow @MyWanderlux. 🙂
Connect your card here then add the available offers you’d like.
As always, note all terms & conditions. Some deals are valid only online while others only in store, and occasionally some specify that gift card purchases are excluded.
Some offers are limited to a certain number of registrations, so if you think you might use an offer I would add it sooner rather than later to avoid getting shut out.
Current offers that I’m aware of are below, with respective expiration dates and Twitter hashtags if available. If you use iTunes, note the free iTunes offer!
- Bonobos – spend $150 get $50 (expires 5/30/14)
- BP – spend $30 get $5 (exp. 5/31/14) #AmexBP
- Brooklyn Industries – spend $75 get $15 (exp. 4/30/14)
- City Sports – spend $100 get $20 (exp. 4/30/14)
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf – spend $20 get $5 (exp. 4/30/14) #AmexCoffeeBean
- CoffeeBean.com – spend $50 get $10 (exp. 4/15/14)
- Crate & Barrel – spend $50 get $10 (exp. 5/22/14) #AmexCrateBarrel
- Delivery.com – spend $25 get $5 (exp. 4/6/14) #AmexDelivery
- Elie Tahari – spend $300 get $75 (exp. 4/30/14) #AmexElieTahari
- Fig & Olive – spend $100 get $20 (exp. 4/30/14)
- Fresh Market – spend $50 get $10 (exp. 5/10/14) #AmexFreshMarket
- Hamasaku – get 20% of your $100 purchase back (exp. 6/25/14)
- Hampton Inn – spend $150 get $25 (exp. 5/31/14) #AmexHampton
- Hulu Plus – spend $20 get $10 (exp. 7/31/14)
- iTunes – spend $5 get $5 (exp. 4/30/14)
- Jason Wu – spend $700 get $200 (exp. 4/30/14) #AmexJasonWu
- Juan Juan Salon – spend $100 get $20 (exp. 5/21/14)
- Joes Restaurant – spend $100 get $20 (exp. 4/23/14)
- Lowe’s – spend $50 get $10 (exp. 5/31/14) #AmexLowes
- Petco.com – spend $25 get $5 (exp. 6/16/14) #AmexPetco
- Petsmart – spend $25 get $5 (exp. 4/30/14) #AmexPetSmart
- Regal Entertainment Group – spend $25 get $5 (exp. 4/3/14)
- Rue La La – spend $100 get $30 (exp. 4/17/14)
- Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes – spend $25 get $5 (exp. 6/30/14) #AmexSoup
- Sports Authority – spend $50 get $10 (exp. 4/30/14) #AmexSportsAuth
- Total Wine – spend $100 get $20 (exp. 4/27/14)
- Zappos – spend $150 get $30 (exp. 5/31/14) #AmexZappos