Weekend Roundup: Free Southwest Points, $49 Frontier Flights, a New Low-Cost Airline, and More
Happy Father’s Day!
Southwest Rapid Rewards offers up to 2,500 points for new members
Two Southwest new-member offers to tell you about…
Residents of the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area can earn 2,000 Rapid Rewards (Southwest’s loyalty program) points for signing up and another 500 for opting in to receive e-mail communications. Must enroll by June 20, 2014. (Link for 2,500-point Southwest offer.)
Unfortunately the offer for non-DFW residents is not so generous – only 500 points. But free is free. On the other hand, if you have no immediate need for a Southwest loyalty account you could hold out in case they offer something better in the future. (Link for 500-point Southwest offer.)
Speaking of discount air carriers…
Frontier is back with another $49 fare sale, this one ending tomorrow, June 16. (Link.)
And more discount air carriers…
PEOPLExpress, a new low-cost airline, is set to launch later this month. Flights are now bookable and I’m currently seeing introductory fares from $56.
If you’ve been flying a long time you might recognize the name PEOPLExpress. The new operator purchased its name from the now-defunct 1980s brand.
Routes are limited – service is available from the hub in Newport News/Williamsburg, Virginia to three other cities – but expanding over time.
I’m always happy to see more travel choices, and the new airline’s routes are intended to serve markets not well covered by bigger carriers.
Enough about discount air carriers
Some other interesting stories from the world of travel:
- Travel + Leisure presents the hottest travel destinations for 2014.
- Read about six things to consider before you travel. (From The Huffington Post)
- And about 10 free things hotels provide in case you forgot. (From Smarter Travel)
- ShermansTravel lists 10 dead giveaways you’re a tourist – and offers advice for defeating them.
- The New York Times writes about more airports adopting free Wi-Fi.
- Finally, here’s your weekly dose of travel eye candy: TripAdvisor’s collage of 20 surreal places you need to see to believe.
Enjoy the remaining weekend and don’t forget to check our frequently-updated Travel Deals Page for more promotions.