Earn Double or Triple Points with Hilton’s Fall Promotion
Hilton recently announced its fall promotion, titled Triple Your Trip, and it’s very similar to last year’s fall promotion. Read on for my analysis and for tips on maximizing the offer.
- The promotion period is August 1 to October 31, 2014.
- Earn double points for qualifying stays on weeknights (Monday through Thursday).
- Earn triple points for qualifying stays on weekends (Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights).
- Must register prior to your first check-out. The registration page is here.
- There is a (rather lengthy) list of non-participating properties.
Analysis of double points offer
Base members (those at the Blue membership level) normally earn 10 points per dollar spent. Earning double points through this promotion would yield another 10 points (highlighted in yellow on the chart below). Electing the “Points and Points” earning option gives a further 5 points/$. Total earnings: 25 points per dollar spent.
I value one Hilton point at $0.004 (four tenths of a cent), so 25 points is worth about a 10% rebate to me (highlighted in blue). Important to keep in mind that this “rebate” is not in cash but in the form of Hilton points.
(If you’re curious about how I value a point at $0.004, I explain in this post [scroll down to find it in the second half of the “Analysis” section].)
Elite members earn additional bonuses which “beef up” their return slightly, with top-tier Diamond members earning the equivalent of a 12% rebate (highlighted in salmon).
Here’s a summary of what is earned at each membership level:
Analysis of triple points offer
Everything is that same as above except you earn 20 bonus promotion points per dollar (highlighted in purple) instead of 10.
Again, at my $0.004/point valuation, you’d earn a rebate worth anywhere between 14% and 16%.
First of all, don’t forget to register. I always just register for these things at the beginning, even if I don’t plan to stay during the promotion period. That way if an unexpected stay comes up I don’t lose out on bonuses for forgetting to register.
Some ways to potentially double/triple dip:
- Sync and pay with an eligible American Express card to earn a $50 statement credit when you spend $250+ at a qualifying Hilton Hotels & Resorts property. (This offer expires September 2, 2014; details in this post.)
- Alternatively, paying with a Hilton co-braded credit card would earn another 7, 10, or 12 points/$ (depending on which card it is).
- Check the Hilton offers page for any potentially combinable promotions.
Finally, as always, be sure to read the T&Cs carefully.