Kroger Promotion on Gift Cards – Up to 30% Off
With Mother’s Day approaching, many retailers are offering nice promotions on gift cards.
For example, the Kroger grocery chain – which includes Ralphs, Fred Meyer, and Harris Teeter, among others – currently offers the following through May 10th:
- $10 off two GAP, GAP Options, Banana Republic and/or Old Navy Gift Cards
- $20 Dominos gift card for $16
- $5 off two $25 or more Bath & Body Works gift cards ($50 for $45)
- $5 off two $25 or more Applebee’s gift cards ($50 for $45)
- $15 off two $25 or more Groupon gift cards ($50 for $35)
- $5 off two $25 or more Michael’s gift cards ($50 for $45)
- $5 off Yankee Candle gift cards
- $5 off one $25 or more Fandango gift card
- $10 off two $25 or more Payless gift cards ($50 for $40)
- $5 off two Aeropostale gift cards
- $10 off two Carnival gift cards
- $10 off two $25 or more Spafinder gift cards ($50 for $40)
- $5 off one $25 or more Skype gift card ($25 for $20)
- $10 off two Jiffy Lube gift cards totaling $50 or more ($100 for $90)
Aside from the Gap/Banana Republic offer (which can be combined with store promotions like Gap’s current 35% off + free shipping), the 30% discount on Groupon is particularly appealing.
Here’s how to maximize it on travel…
Buy Groupon gift cards at 30% off
This offer is only available in-store, and you must first load the digital coupon to your store loyalty account.
But none of that is out of my way as I need groceries anyway and it only takes a few seconds to load the coupon to my account (I do so through the Ralphs app).
The result is $50 worth of gift cards for $35.
Plus, Kroger is currently offering double fuel points on purchases made on weekends. (You earn 10 cents off per gallon of fuel for every $50 spent on gift cards.)
Your fuel savings depends on how much gas you buy, but for simplicity let’s value the fuel points at $1.
Use the gift cards to buy Groupon products
I’ve scored some great deals over the years (but it does take some “vetting” as not all offers are great).
Let’s analyze a hotel offer.
Since the Kroger offer is limited to $50 in gift cards (per loyalty account), buying a product right at the $50 price point maximizes our savings (percentage-wise).
Take this Hampton Inn & Suites in Center, Texas – it has standard king rooms from $50/night (click on the image to enlarge):
The price includes breakfast and a $5 Starbucks gift card. For simplicity let’s value the Starbucks card at par.
Groupon itself already sells discounted products, so we are just layering on more savings with the Kroger promo.
Ultimately, our net cost is $29/night ($35 gift card cost minus $1 fuel savings minus $5 Starbucks perk).
Not bad for a stay at a reputable hotel (Hampton Inn is part of the Hilton chain). Check out Groupon’s travel offerings and see if you fancy anything.
- Most Groupon travel offers are non-refundable, so be sure of your plans before buying. Many (but not all) merchandise deals have free returns, however.
- If you don’t need anything from Groupon immediately, just buy the gift cards now to lock in those savings. To spend them, wait until Groupon offers a percent-off discount. (They recently offered 20% off all beauty and spa deals, for example.)
Finally, if you don’t already have a Groupon account, do a friend a favor and sign up through his or her referral link. Unfortunately you don’t get anything for it, but the friend gets $10 if you make a purchase. Feel free to use mine. 🙂
Wishing you, as always, safe travels.
(Source: this Slickdeals thread.)