Weekend Roundup of Travel News & Deals
Welcome to the (unofficial) start of summer! Amid your weekend festivities, please bear in mind the meaning of Memorial Day and take a moment to remember those who served.
I received an email from Cunard Line about their military cruise benefit and wanted to pass it along as a reminder that such discounts are often available (though not always broadly advertised) with other travel providers as well. If in doubt, it never hurts to ask!
Travel news and stories
- Disneyland is raising ticket prices. For Southern Californians, even sadder is that annual passes can no longer be purchased. (From CNN)
- After your fill of BBQ this weekend, check out Matador’s list of 65 “ridiculously delicious” Asian noodle dishes.
- For broader food advice, see Travelzoo’s tips for finding a good restaurant while traveling.
- To work off all that food, try the new Gymsurfing app that lets you book a day pass at fitness centers in various destinations. (From Conde Nast)
- And finally, for some travel eye candy, Travel + Leisure has photos of America’s most beautiful gardens. Very serene!
Speaking of serene, I snapped this flying into Munich earlier this month. Can never get enough of the scenery on that approach.
A couple of quick deal notes
You can earn up to 100,000 bonus American AAdvantage miles for qualifying roundtrip flights between North America and Europe.
There’s a similar offer for earning bonus British Airways Avios although this one excludes Mexico.
Don’t forget to register first.
The catch with these is the flight needs to be in full-fare economy or higher. (If you’re unsure which fares qualify, the T&Cs specify which fare classes do.)
So these promos could work well for business travel if your employer buys such fares; not so much if you’re looking at discounted fares.
Enjoy the holiday weekend!