Weekend Roundup of Travel News and Deals
I hope you’re enjoying the weekend – whether it’s a quiet one at home, an epic adventure far away, or something in between.
Here’s a roundup of some interesting nuggets from the travel world this week.
News & stories
- Starwood and Hilton announced their upcoming summer promotions, and you can find my analyses here and here.
- Check out this list of 21 travel experiences you must have once (and only once). (From Huffington Post)
- An interesting, and mostly reassuring, read about in-flight turbulence. (From Conde Nast)
- A less-reassuring read (if you’re germophobic, as I am): Airlines’ Dirtiest Secrets. (From Budget Travel)
- For the 0.5%, how about an around-the-world journey aboard the Four Seasons private jet? Yours for only $119,000. Not sure if that includes tax, but if I have to ask…perhaps I’m not the target customer. (From Conde Nast)
Money on sale
For your points-earning fix, there are some promotions on cash equivalents this week:
Vons, Pavilions, and Safeway are offering $10 off groceries for a $100+ purchase of American Express gift cards (valid April 23 – May 20).
Staples is offering a $20 store gift card for a $300+ purchase of MasterCard gift cards (valid April 27 – May 3).
The discount itself is nothing special, yielding only a small profit after card-activation fees. The trick is to buy these cash equivalents with a credit card that earns bonus points at those merchants.
At Staples, I’ll use a Chase Ink card that earns 5 points/$ at office supply stores, netting 2,070 points and $6 in Staples store credit.
2,070 points is one-sixth of a free flight to Hawaii, so ten minutes spent dropping by Staples is worthwhile to me.
As for cards with above-average awards on supermarket purchases, you might look into the Blue Cash cards issued by American Express.
Don’t forget to check the regularly-updated Travel Deals Page. New additions this past week include promotions by Alaska Air, American Eagle, Choice Hotels, Frontier Airlines, Virgin America, and Virgin Atlantic.
Have a fantastic remainder of the weekend!